Safety Management Services, Inc. (SMS) has partnered with the Tooele Army Depot (TEAD) to yield a very capable test site to perform large-scale and small-scale tests of energetic substances and articles. The TEAD/SMS partnership provides a unique set of capabilities for government and commercial clients. SMS has invested over a half million dollars in the test site. In-process and DOT/UN testing is completed at the site. Below are some of the features of the test site.
TEAD Test Site
- 94 acre dedicated test area
- 24/7 secured, restricted-access location
- clearances necessary to test CLASSIFIED materials
- Sensitivity lab with Impact, Friction, ESD, and SBAT apparatuses
- 400 lb (HD 1.1) detonation limit
- Extensive auxiliary equipment support including:
- High-speed video
- Radiometry (heat-flux) measurement
- Reflective and side-on overpressure measurement
- High definition video
- Internal pressure measurement
- Detonation velocity measurement
- Remote 12-meter (40 foot) drop tower
- High and low temperature conditioning chambers
Our sensitivity test lab (pictured below) contains MBOB, BOE and Type-12 Impact, ABL ESD, and ABL Friction (BAM Friction upon request) test machines. GoDetect-ESDTM and GoDetect-ViewTM are used to determine reactions with use of a high-speed camera (a Phantom V210). A gas analyzer is also available to determine reactions during sensitivity testing. The laboratory is equipped with humidity and temperature controls.
The thermal lab is equipped with multiple pieces of equipment including conditioning ovens, an SBAT, Koenen, and Time-Pressure devices. The below image shows the Thermal lab with the pieces of equipment labeled.
Shown below is a picture of the drop tower. There are significant testing capabilities at our TEAD/SMS test site. Please contact us with your testing requests and we will respond in a timely manner with competitive prices. Click here to further review our test capabilities.